Welcome to Acton Bridge

Around the Village: The Maypole


The Maypole, Hill Top Road

The Alehouse, known as The Cheese, was renamed The Maypole in 1827. In the 1881 Census, Samuel Hignett, publican, lived there with his wife, son and daughter, and two brothers in law, one described as cripple (no occupation). A nurse, Lucy Jackson, who was only 14, also lived with the family.

By 1903 Greenalls were Lessees, and William Milner owned the pub as part of the Milner Estate, who were large landowners in the area. It was put up for sale in 1918 by the Estate, along with many other properties in Acton.

Descriptions of the lot include a bar parlour, taproom and bar, five bedrooms, and a sitting room above with an outside wash-house, piggeries, and two "privies" ( toilets). It had a large productive orchard, well stocked with apple and pear trees, in all 1.118 acres. Even then it had electric light and Weaverham town water.

There have been twenty-eight different Licensees. David Buckley, the landlord from 1968-78, carried out the main alterations, still in evidence in the year 2000.

There have been many changes to Alehouses over the years: since the 1930s, the opening hours have changed considerably, from opening from 11.30 am to 2 pm and from 6 pm to 10 pm, to today where the pubs can, if they wish, open all day and close at 11 pm. Food is a large part of the income of many pubs, and the Maypole today has a thriving trade serving meals.

Adapted from "Snapshots in Time", a book about the Village published by the Acton Bridge WI to mark the Millennium in 2000

Site directory Click on the house for ActonBridge.Org Home Page Home page Website ©
[Site directory]